Nanocellulose applications in the wood-based panels have gained a great deal in the scientific researches and industrial applications. Utilization of natural and synthetic nanoparticles as reinforcement in the wood-based panels has considerably increased in the last two decades due to their unique properties. The main property of the nanocellulose is its very high surface area. Hereby, the very small use of nanoparticles suh as %1-2 wt% in the composites is enough at a relatively low-cost. Nanoparticles are presently considered to be high-potential reinforcing fillers for the enhancement of the physical, mechanical, electrical/electronic properties, thermal resistivity, fire, durability properties of wood-based panels such as particleboard, fibreboard, oriendted strandboard, and plywood. The nanoparticles are applied to wood based panels dur ing the manufacture and after production. The raw materials such as wood or resin can be treated with nanoparticles or the finished panels can be treated with nanoparticles. In this study, the recent developments in the nano particles, their applications in the wood based panels, and their effects on the panel properties were reviewed
- Nikolic M, Lawther JM, Sanadi AR. Use of nanofillers in wood coatings: a scientific review. J Coat Technol Res 12, 445–461 (2015).
- Anonymous. Super hydrophobic coating changes wood ınto waterproof wood. https://ultrahydrophobiccoating.com/product/super-hydrophobic-coating-changes-waterproof-wood/
- Kong L, Xu D, He Z, Wang F, Gui S, Fan J, Pan X, Dai X, Dong X, Liu B, Li Y. Nanocellulose-Reinforced Polyurethane for Waterborne Wood Coating. Molecules. 2019;24(17):3151.
- Shankar S, Rhim JW. Bionanocomposite Films for Food Packaging Applications. Reference Module in Food Science, 2018
- Wang S, Xing C. Wood adhesıves containing reınforced additives for structural engineerıng products. US patent no: US20160115359A1, US patent Office.
- Park HS, Lee HH. A novel manufacturing method of urea-formaldehyde resin with the titanium dioxide for reducing formaldehyde emission. Jour Agri Sci 2009;36:11-18
- Costa NA, Pereira J, Ferra J, Cruz P, Martins J, Magalhaes FD, Mendes A, Carvalho LH. Scavengers for achieving zero formaldehyde emission of wood-based panels. Wood Sci Technol 2013;47:1261-1272.
- Dudkin, BN, Krivoshapkin VP, Krivoshapkina EF. Effect of aluminum oxide nanoparticles on the properties of urea-formaldehyde resin. Russ. J. Appl. Chem. 2006;79:1522–1525.
- Kızılkaya A, Aydemir D, Onat SM, İstek A. Effects of different nano fillers on the physical and mechanical properties of medium density fiberboards (MDF). Journal of Bartin Faculty of Forestry 2020; 22 (3):878-885.
- Candan Z, Akbulut T. Physical and mechanical properties of nanoreinforced particleboard composites. Maderas. Ciencia y tecnología, 2015;17(2):319-334.
- Jiang Y, Wu G, Chen H, Song S, Pu J. Preparation of Nano- SiO2 Modified Urea-Formaldehyde Performed Polymer to Enhance Wood Properties. Rev.Adv. Mater. Sci. 2013;33:46-50.
- Chen Y, Cai T, Dang B et al. The properties of fibreboard based on nanolignocelluloses/CaCO3/PMMA composite synthesized through mechano-chemical method. Sci Rep 2018;8:5121.
- Kumar A, Sharma KV, Gupta A et al. Optimization of processing parameters of medium density fiberboard using response surface methodology for multiwalled carbon nanotubes as a nanofiller. Eur. J. Wood Prod. 2017;75:203–213.
- Alabduljabbar H, Alyousef R, Gul W, Shah SRA, Khan A, Khan R, Alaskar A. Effect of Alumina Nano-Particles on Physical and Mechanical Properties of Medium Density Fiberboard. Materials, 2020;13(18):4207.
- Ižd inský J, Reinprecht L Nosál E. Antibacterial efficiency of silver and zinc-oxide nanoparticles in acrylate coating for surface treatment of wooden composites. Wood Res. 2018;63:365-372.
- Valle ACM, Ferreira BS, Prates GA, Goveia D, De Campos CI. Physical and mechanical properties of particleboard from eucalyptus grandis produced by urea formaldehyde resin with SiO2 nanoparticles. Eng. Agríc. 2020;40:289-293.
- Gul W, Alrobei H, Shah SRA, Khan A. Effect of iron oxide nanoparticles on the physical properties of medium density fiberboard. Polymers, Dec;12(12).
- Chotikhun A, Hiziroglu S, Buser M, Frazier S, Kard B. Characterization of nano particle added composite panels manufactured from Eastern redcedar. Journal of Composite Materials 2018;52(12):1605–1615
- Ayrilmis N. Nanocellulose as a green and sustainable material for biocomposite industry. 2th International Conference on Technology and Science, 14-16 November 2019, Mehmet Akif University, Burdur, Turkey.
- Lengowski EC, Júnior EAB, Kumode MMN, Carneiro ME, Satyanarayana KG. Nanocellulose-reinforced adhesives for wood-based panels, sustainable polymer composites and nanocomposites. Springer International Publishing, 2019.
- Veigel S, Rathke J, Weigl M, Gindl-Altmutter W. Particleboard and oriented strand board prepared with nanocellulose-reinforced adhesive. Journal of Nanomaterials. 2012
- Ayrilmis N, Ashori A. Alternative solutions for reinforcement of thermoplastic composites. In: Natural Fiber Composites ed. R.D.S.G. Campilho (Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2015.
- Atta-Obeng E, Via B, Fasina O. Effect of microcrystalline cellulose, species, and particle size on mechanical and physical properties of particleboard. Wood and fiber science, 201:44:227- 235.
- Atta-Obeng E (2011) Characterization of phenol formaldehyde adhesive and adhesive-wood particle composites reinforced with microcrystalline cellulose. MSc thesis, Auburn University
- de Cademartori PHG, Artner MA, de Freitas RA, Magalhaes WLE. Alumina nanoparticles as formaldehyde scavenger for urea-formaldehyde resin: rheological and in-situ cure performance. Compos B Eng 2019;176:107281
- Ayrilmis N, Lee YK, Kwon JH, Han TH, Kim HJ. Formaldehyde emission and VOCs from LVLs produced with three grades of urea-formaldehyde resin modified with nanocellulose, Building and Environment, 2016;97:82-87,
- Ayrilmis N, Kwon JH, Lee SH, Han TH, Park CW (2016) Microfibrillated-cellulose-modified urea-formaldehyde adhesives with different F/U molar ratios for wood-based composites, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 2016;30:2032-204