Effect of Overlay Paper Properties on the Surface Quality of Laminate Flooring
- 1 Kastamonu Entegre Ağaç Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş., Kastamonu Organize Sanayi Bölgesi 7. Cad. No:2/8 37200 Halife Köyü/Kastamonu/Türkiye
- 2 Department of Wood Mechanics and Technology, Forestry Faculty, Istanbul University-Cerrahpasa, Bahcekoy, Sariyer, 34473, Istanbul, Turkey
In this study, the effect of overlay paper properties on the surface quality of laminate flooring was investigated. For this aim, only the upper surface of 22 gr/m² raw overlay papers impregnated with 53% melamine formaldehyde resin in the glue pool was sprinkled by corundum (Al2O3) in two different ratios (23 and 28 gr/m²) from different companies at 140-160 ºC. In the drying ovens, the impregnated overlay papers with a final weight of 135 and 140 gr/m² and a humidity of 7.5% were produced. The panels obtained at the end of these processes were tested according to TS-EN 14323 and related standards, which are surface quality features such as surface abrasion, surface scratch and ash test. According to the test results, it has been observed that under the same pressing conditions, different corundum type and amount as well as laminate floorings covered with overlay papers with different final weights have an effect on the surface quali ty properties. It was observed that although the increase in the amount of corundum did not have a significant effect on surface scratching, it had a significant effect on surface wear values. According to the results of the ash test, it was observed that the amount of corundum increased and its distribution on the overlay paper surface was homogeneous.
- Kara, M.E,. Özçifci, A,. Nemli, G., Çelik, U., Effect of Lamination Conditions on Technological Properties of HDF Laminate Parquet.’’ IFC 2016 International Furniture Congress 13-15 October 2016.
- Kara, M.E., İstek, A., Esgin, E., Effect of Coating Conditions on Surface Properties in Particle Boards, III. Ulus lararası Odun Dışı Orman Ürünleri Sempozyumu 8-10 May 2014, Kahramanmaraş.
- Istek, A., Aydemir, D., and Aksu, S. The effect of decor paper and resin type on the physical, mechanical, and surface quality properties of particleboards coated with impregnated decor papers, BioRes. 2010;5(2):1074-1083.