Formaldehyde emission is one of important issues in the wood-based panel industry. Recently, many countries tighten regulations on formaldehyde emissions emitted from wood-based panels due to harmful effect of formaldehyde on the humans. Urea-formaldehyde (UF) resin is the most used synthetic resin as binder in the production of wood-based panels for indoor applications. Disadvantages of UF resin are the formaldehyde emission and low water resistance. UF resin is classified according to the formaldehyde releases, Super E0, E0, E1, and E2, which are from lowest to highest, respectively. Many researchers have focused on the synthetic and natural formaldehyde scavengers for decreasing the formaldehyde emission from the wood-based panels. In this study, recent studies for reducing formaldehyde emission from wood-based boards were reviewed.
- Octavia Z. Standards and Regulations Concerning the Formaldehyde Emissions from Wood Panels. 13th international conference “standardization, protypes and quality: a means of balkan countries’ collaboration” Brasov, Romania, November 3 - 4, 2016, p.266-271.
- Ryu DY, Shimohara T, Nakabayashi K, Miyawaki J, Park J, Yoon SH. Urea/nitric acid coimpregnated pitch-based activated carbon fiber for the effective removal of formaldehyde. J Ind Eng Chem 2019;80:98-105
- Ehrlich, B. Composite Wood: EPA, California, and LEED v4 Requirements. Retrieved from https://www.buildinggreen.com/product-review/composite-wood-epa-california-and-leed-v4-requirements. (2018).
- Ayrilmis. Fiberboard Industry. Unpublished bachelor degree lecture notes. Forestry faculty, Istanbul University- Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey, 2021.
- İstek A, Özlüsoylu İ, Onat SM, Özlüsoylu S. Formaldehyde emission problems and solution recommendations on wood-based boards: A review. Journal of Bartin Faculty of Forestry 2018;20(2): 382-387.
- JD Gallant. Formaldehyde in RVs: Is it dangerous to our health? Member wants to know. [https://rv.org/blogs/news/formaldehyde-in-rvs-dangerous-to-your-health] [Accessed on 10 April 2021].
- Martins JM, Coelho C, Pereira J, JM Ferra, Carvalho L. "8. Strategies to reduce formaldehyde emissions from wood-based panels: Impact on physicomechanical properties and machinability". Wood Composites, edited by J. Paulo Davim and Alfredo Aguilera, Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter, 2017, pp. 165-206.
- Antov P, Savov V, Neykov N. Reduction of formaldehyde emission from engineered wood panels by formaldehyde scavengers – a review. 13th International Scientific Conference WoodEMA2020: Sustainability of Forest-Based Industries in The Global Economy, Vinkovci, Croatia, 2020.
- Migneault S, Koubaa A, Riedl B, Nadji H, Deng J, Zhang S. Potential of pulp and paper sludge as a formaldehyde scavenger agent in MDF resins. Holzforschung 2011;65:403- 409.
- Ayrilmis N, Kaymakci A. Reduction of formaldehyde emission from light MDF panels by adding chestnut shell flour. Holzforschung 2012;66:443-446.
- Ayrilmis N, Kapti T, Gürel A, Ohlmeyer M (2018) Reducing formaldehyde emission from wood-based panels by modification of UF and MUF resins with condensates obtained from kiln-drying of wood. Holzforschung 2018;72:753-757
- Kordkheili HY, Pizzi A, Niyatzade G (2016) Reduction of formaldehyde emission from particleboard by phenolated kraft lignin. J Adhesion 2016;92:485-497
- Neimsuwan T, Siramon P, Hengniran P, Punsuvon V. Effect of tannin addition as a bioscavenger on formaldehyde content in particleboard. J Trop For Res 2017;1:45-56
- Taghiyari HR, Hosseini SB, Ghahri S, Ghofrani M, Papadopoulos AN (2020) Formaldehyde emission in micron-sized wollastonite-treated plywood bonded with soy flour and urea-formaldehyde resin. Appl Sci 2020;10:6709-6723.
- Hassannejad H, Shalbafan A, Rahmaninia M. Reduction of formaldehyde emission from medium density fiberboard by chitosan as scavenger, The Journal of Adhesion 2020;96:9, 797-813.
- Ayrilmis N, Büyüksarı U, Avcı E, Koç E. Utilization of pine (Pinus pinea L.) cone in manufacture of wood based composite. Forest Ecology and Management 2009;259(1): 65-70
- Haiyang Zhang, Jin Liu, Xiaoning Lu. Reducing the formaldehyde emission of composite wood products by cold plasma treatment. Wood Research 2013;58(4):607-616.
- Kowaluk G, Zajac M, Czubak E, Auriga R. Physical and mechanical properties of particleboards manufactured using charcoal as additives. iForest 2016;10:70-74.
- Ghani A, Bawon P, Ashaari Z, Wahab MW, Hua LS, Chen LW. Addıtıon of Propylamıne as Formaldehyde Scavenger for Urea Formaldehyde-Bonded Partıcleboard. Wood Research 2017;62(2):329-334.
- Gao W, Du G, Kamdem DP. Influence of ammonium pentaborate (apb) on the performance of urea formaldehyde (UF) adhesives for plywood. The Journal of Adhesion 2015:91:186-196.
- Valyova M, Ivanova Y, Koynov D. Investigation of free formaldehyde quantity in the production of plywood with modified ureaformaldehyde resin, Wood, Design & Technology 2017;6(1):72-77.
- Kumar A, Gupta A, Sharma KV, Gazali SB. Influence of aluminum oxide nanoparticles on the physical and mechanical properties of wood composites 2013;8(4):6231- 6241.
- Liu K, Su C, Ma W, Li H, Zeng Z, Li L. Free formaldehyde reduction in urea-formaldehyde resin adhesive: Modifier addition effect and physicochemical property characterization. BioRes 2020;15:2339-2355.
- Réh R, Krišťák Ľ, Sedliačik J, et al. Utilization of Birch Bark as an Eco-Friendly Filler in Urea-Formaldehyde Adhesives for Plywood Manufacturing. Polymers (Basel). 2021;13(4):511.
- Aydin I, Demirkir C, Colak S, Colakoğlu S. Utilization of bark flours as additive in plywood manufacturing. Eur J Wood Prod 2017;75:63–69.
- Ružiak I, Igaz R, Krišťák Ľ, Réh R, Mitterpach J, Očkajová A, Kučerka M. Influence of ureaformaldehyde adhesive modification with beech bark on chosen properties of plywood. BioRes. 2017;12:3250–3264.
- Park HS, Lee HH. A novel manufacturing method of urea-formaldehyde resin with the titanium dioxide for reducing formaldehyde emission. Jour Agri Sci 2009;36:11-18
- Costa NA, Pereira J, Ferra J, Cruz P, Martins J, Magalhaes FD, Mendes A, Carvalho LH. Scavengers for achieving zero formaldehyde emission of wood-based panels. Wood Sci Technol 2013;47:1261-1272.
- Dudkin, BN, Krivoshapkin VP, Krivoshapkina EF. Effect of aluminum oxide nanoparticles on the properties of urea-formaldehyde resin. Russ. J. Appl. Chem. 2006;79:1522– 1525.
- Chotikhun A, Hiziroglu S. Some Properties of Composite Panels Manufactured from Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana L.) Using Modified Starch as a Green Binder. Journal of Natural Fibers 2017;14:541-550
- Ayrilmis N; Lee YK, Kwon JH, Han TH, Kim HJ. Formaldehyde emission and VOCs from LVLs produced with three grades of urea-formaldehyde resin modified with nanocellulose. Build. Environ 2016;97:82-87.
- Salem MZM, Böhm M. Understanding of formaldehyde emissions from solid wood: An overview. Bioresources 2013;8(3): 4775-4790.