New regulations on the formaldehyde emission from wood-based panels
- 1 Department of Wood Mechanics and Technology, Forestry Faculty, Istanbul University-Cerrahpasa, Bahcekoy, Sariyer, 34473, Istanbul, Turkey
Formaldehyde is considered a health hazard, hence the wood-based panels must be within the limits imposed by the strictest regulations regarding the formaldehyde release. New national and international international regulations of formaldehyde emission from wood-based panels widely used in furniture industry were investigated in this study. The results of the study can be useful for the woodbased panel factories to follow the standards and regulations in terms of formaldehyde emission.
- Barry A., Corneau, D. Effectiveness of barriers to minimize VOC emissions including formaldehyde. Forest Products Journal, 20006;56(9):38.
- Li, S. Design of Small Environment Chamber and Study of VOC Emission Characteristic from Wood-based Panel, Northeast Forestry University, Harbin,China, 2013.
- Golden, R. Identifying an indoor air exposure limit for formaldehyde considering both irritation and cancer hazards. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2011;41(8):672-721.
- Zhang, J., Song, F., Tao, J., et al. Research Progress on Formaldehyde Emission of Wood-Based Panel", International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2018, Article ID 9349721, 8 pages, 2018.
- Song, W., Cao, Y., Wang, D., Hou, G., Shen, Z., et al. An Investigation on Formaldehyde Emission Characteristics of Wood Building Materials in Chinese Standard Tests: Product Emission Levels, Measurement Uncertainties, and Data Correlations between Various Tests. Plos One 10(12): e0144374, 2015.
- Costa, N.J.A. Adhesive systems for low formaldehyde emission wood-based panels, University of Porto, 2013.
- Carvalho, L., Magalhães, F., João, F. Formaldehyde Emissions from Wood-Based Panels -Testing Methods and Industrial Perspectives, 2012.
- Alexandropoulos, P.N., Mantanis, G.I. A European Approach to Particleboard and MDF adhesives. Conference: Composite Panel Association (CPA) - Resin and Blending Seminar, December 1998, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA.
- Mantanis, G.I., Athanassiadou, E.T., Barbu, M.C., Wijnendaele, K. Adhesive systems used in the European particleboard, MDF and OSB industries. Wood Mater. Sci. Eng. 2018;13:104-116.
- Carvalho, L.M.H. Estudo da Operação de Prensagem do Aglomerado de Fibras de Média Densidade (MDF): Prensa Descontínua de Pratos Quentes University of Porto, Ph.D. Thesis, 1999.