The IEC-62541 (OPC UA) standard is an important part of the Industry 4.0 reference architecture and is recommended as the only possible communication standard. A particularly important issue that is being addressed is the issue of security. Cyber security is one of the most important challenges for achieving the objectives of the Industry 4.0 initiative and of the associated cyber-physical systems (CPS). The paper analyzes the vulnerability of cyber-attacks and the main threats that threaten the security of OPC UA-based CPS and defines proven and sustainable recommendations for increasing the security of these applications.
- Kagermann H., Wahlster W., Helbig J., Recommendations for implementing the strategic initiative INDUSTRIE 4.0, Final report of the Industrie 4.0 Working Group, Akatech, April, 2013.
- Forschungsunion, “Recommendations for implementing the strategic initiative Industry 4.0”, Acatech, 2013.
- Rajkumar, R., I. Lee, L. Sha, and J. Stankovic (2010), Cyber-physical systems: the next computing revolution, In Proceedings of the 47th Design Automation Conference, ACM, New York, 2010, pp. 731-736.
- OPC Foundation (2017), OPC UA Specification, Part 1: Overview and Concepts, http://www.opcfoundation.org/UA/Part1/
- DIN SPEC 91345, Reference architectural model Industry 4.0 (RAMI4.0), 2016, Berlin.
- OPC Foundation (2018), OPC UA Specification, Part 2: Security model http://www.opcfoundation.org/UA/Part2/
- OPC Foundation (2017), OPC UA Specification, Part 4: Services http://www.opcfoundation.org/UA/Part4/
- OPC Foundation (2017), OPC UA Specification, Part 5: Information Model, http://www.opcfoundation.org/UA/Part5/
- Committee on National Security Systems, National Information Assurance (IA) Glossary, CNSS instruction No. 4009 (revised June 2006). Available from: http://www.cnss.gov/Assets/pdf/cnssi_4009.pdf
- Fiat, Störtkuhl, Plöb, Zugfil, Gappmeier and Damm, "OPC UA Security Analysis," Federal Office for Information Security, Bonn, Germany, 2017.
- OPC Foundation (2017), OPC UA Specification, Part 7: Profiles, http://www.opcfoundation.org/UA/Part7/